Monday 22 December 2008

Tag Ride


OK so on FarRiders there is a game of FarRider Tag going on… basically a photo of someone’s bike is posted at a certain location (eg. outside a pub or other easily identifiable landmark). Then you ride to that location, take a photo of your bike at the same spot to become it. I like this game!
I had my work xmas party on Friday night so had written Saturday off as hangover day. Obviously I didn’t indulge in the free booze enough as I woke up at 8am feeling pretty good. I got up for a minute, saw that it was very sunny, and hopped back into bed for a snooze because I could! That didn’t last long, I was bored after about two minutes and started to think I might like to go for a ride. I thought about going down the coast but thought that traffic would be pretty heavy so it would be very annoying. Then I thought about how I had the whole weekend free, I could go play TAG! Yeah!! hang on, dinner plans for that night. Hmmm where is the TAG anyway? A quick check showed me it was at the Taronga Zoo. Sydney is doable. I had a closer look and realised it was Taronga Western Plains Zoo so Dubbo not Sydney. Even better! So I got up and had a coffee to see how I felt and I felt FINE so I geared up and hit the road about 8:30am.
It was a pretty uneventful trip on roads that I am very familiar with. Barton Highway to the Hume Highway and then a right hand turn onto Lachlan Valley Way to Boorowa for my first stop (they are slowly fixing up that road but it is still very bumpy in places). Had a quick wee/smoke break at Boorowa then onto Cowra for fuel and a pie for breakfast. Then onto Canowindra, Molong and then I stopped at a rest area between Molong and Wellington for a smoke/rest-the-arse break before pulling into Dubbo where I quickly grabbed fuel and a drink and headed out to the Zoo.
I found the sign, parked the pig underneath, snap and my picture was done. Now to get home and get it posted.
The pig at dubbo
The pig at dubbo
I hate backtracking on rides so I continued on down the Newell Highway through Peak Hill, Parkes and then Forbes where I again filled up and grabbed a packet of chips, intending to stop at the park to eat it… ooops there isn’t a rest area where I thought there was so continued on, turned off for Grenfell and then pulled into the first rest area I came to, ate my chippies and enjoyed the serenity :o)
My arse was getting really sore by this stage, so decided that I would stop as often as I needed to, and not worry about being “soft” lol. Rolled through Grenfell and then through Young. I took a wrong turn in Young and ended up riding around residential streets for a while before finally coming back into the main street somehow and now in familliar territory I continued on. I quickly caught up to three boys on bikes who were a bit slow but I eventually got around them all. After I passed the leader I looked back and he was keeping up, yay someone to play with I thought but no, I had to almost immediately turn left at Wombat and they went straight on. Oh well. Stopped in Wombat for another drink/smoke/rest-the-arse break before continuing on through Harden and Binalong and into Yass to top up the fuel again and rest a bit before heading back down the Barton to home and getting in about 6:50pm(?).
Straight on the computer, phew nobody else has tagged the zoo yet so I quickly upload my photo and post up the new location outside the backpackers at Port Campbell :o)
811km not bad for a day trip and damn I was sore afterwards! Next time I will be more aware to make the correct underwear choice ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment