Saturday 17 May 2008

The FarRide that wasn’t to be (FarRide #7)


Earlyish April, details for FarRide 7 went up - lunch at Moree.  At first James wasn’t too interested but soon enough he HTFU and we planned to go.

I think James was just not meant to go on this ride.

Originally we planned this awesome ride, which would have seen us taking in some of the best NSW riding roads to get to Moree… but James’s boss got sick so there was no way he could get the  Friday off.

Then of course the gixxer was crashed so money would be going there instead of the ride so he was out.  I decided fark it, I’ll go on my own, had a plan to ride to Dubbo after work on the Friday then the remaining distance to Moree in the morning.  Not the most exciting ride but hey I’d get there.

About a week ago got a message from James saying that he would be able to make the FarRide - hurrah!  Planned to leave my place around 6pm or whenever James could make it.  Sweet.

Thursday get a call from James - he was injured at hockey the night before and didn’t think he’d be able to do the ride.  Damn.   I considered this for a bit before approaching my boss and getting Friday off work… I wasn’t really keen on the trip to Dubbo in the dark on my own… soft I know.  So I had an alternative plan of leaving 11ish and putting in about 700km for the day… hadn’t planned the where or how yet.

Later that night James messages me to tell me that he will be alright for the ride and he’ll see me after work.  No worries! 

About 4:15 James rings me to say he’ll be at my place about 5pm.  Sweet.

5:05pm we’re on the road road through to Yass then onto Boorowa, pulling in about 6:15 as James wanted to put a jumper on.  We had a smoke, then went to get back on the bikes, I turned around but James kept starting and stopping the bike.  The FI light wouldn’t go off so we went down the main street where the light was a bit better and tried disconnecting the battery.  No good.  James decides fark it lets keep going so we head out of town, just get into the 100km/h zone and I see James in my mirrors pulling over… the bike feels like shite over 5000… so back into town. 
Tried disconnecting the battery again to no avail so we found a payphone so James could make some calls.  After a while nothing to be done so he decided to just ride it back to Canberra.  My turn to decide - do I continue on my own or head back with James?  I decided that I would follow him back to Canberra but that I would probably then turn around and head off for Dubbo.

Stopped at Yass for dinner and I tried to convince him that he should go home and get on the storm and we’d set off again but I  failed.

So I got home about 9pm after riding a huge 200km round trip to Boorowa.  Luckily it was a really nice night, the moon was near full and all the paddocks and trees and stuff looked pretty cool in the moonlight and it wasn’t too cold.

I decided that it would be pretty mental to turn around and ride to Dubbo then… so I went to bed and sulked and watched the Crow.  So disappointed it’s not funny, I was really looking forward to this ride. 

And now for some stupid reason I am awake at 6am on a Saturday morning  and I am bored already lol… wonder if I can do 770km in 5 hours?  I have no idea what to do with myself this weekend now 

No comments:

Post a Comment